You may download the lecture in various formats below:
In this lecture, Ustadh Mahmud goes through these sayings from Munabbihat, the counsels of six.
Abu Bakr (r.a) says:
Iblis (Satan) is standing right in front of you.
Your nafs (carnal self) is on your right and hawa’ (whims, wishes, desires) is on your left.
Your dunya (this material world) is behind you.
Your limbs and senses are around you.
Allah the Almighty is watching you, through His power and not by occupation of place, is above you.
The accursed Satan is constantly asking you to leave your religion.
Your nafs is asking you to disobey Allah s.w.t.
Your hawa is constantly asking you to fulfill you desires and temptations.
The dunya calls you to choose it over the akhira (hereafter).
Your limbs and senses call you towards sin.
And the Almighty, Allah s.w.t is calling you to Jannah (paradise) and his forgiveness just as the Quran (2:221) says: “And Allah invites you to Jannah and maghfirah (forgiveness).”
The one who responds to Iblis (Satan) will definitely lose his deen (religion).
The one who responds to his nafsul ammarah will lose his ruh (soul).
The one who responds to his hawa (desires) will lose his intellect.
The one who responds to his dunya (worldliness) will lose his akhirah.
The one who responds to his limbs and senses will lose his Jannah.
And the one who responds to the invitation of Allah the exalted, will lose all his sins and acquire all types of goodness both in this world and the hereafter.
Allah concealed six things in six others:
(1) His good pleasure(rida) in his obedience
(2) His anger in disobedience
(3) His Ism al-‘Azim (the most Glorious name of Allah) within the Quran
(4) His Laylatul Qadr (the Night of Power) in the month of Ramadan
(5) His salah al- wusta (middle prayer) among salah (prescribed prayers)
(6) His Day of Judgment among (His) days
– Umar (r.a)
A believer is always surrounded by six fears:
(1) fear of Allah, the exalted, that he might lose his faith (iman) (for having done something which may not have been right)
(2) fear of the two recording angels that they have recorded something that will expose him on the Day of Judgment to the rest of the people
(3) fear that Satan will render his actions void (by enticing him into committing sin)
(4) fear of the angel of death that he would come to take his soul when he is in a state of heedlessness
(5) fear that this world (dunya) will delude him and make him work for other than the hereafter
(6) fear about his family members that their company will preoccupy him much that he neglects the remembrance of Allah s.w.t
– Uthman (r.a)