[nonmember] ** Please register as a FREE member Here to access the Video & Audio lecture** [/nonmember]
You may download the lecture in various formats below:
In this lecture, Ustadh Mahmud goes through these sayings from Munabbihat, the counsels of five.
O Mankind, do your deeds by regarding the five characteristics as important:
(1) Worship Allah as much as your needs are for His grace
(2) Take from this dunya to the extent of your stay in it
(3) Disobey Allah to the extent that you can bear his punishment
(4) Prepare provisions during this dunya to the extent of your stay in the grave
(5) Do as much good and virtuous deeds as you would require to live in the Paradise
– Shaqiq Balkhi (r.a)
(1) I looked at all my friends, but did not find one better than controlling my tongue.
(2) I have seen all types of apparels, but did not find one better than the dress of piety.
(3) I have seen all types of wealth, but did not find anything better in wealth than contentment.
(4) I have seen all types of good deeds, but did not find anything better than giving good advice.
(5) I have seen all types of delicious food, but did not find one better than sabr (patience)
– Umar (r.a)
A wise scholar said: Zuhd (detaching oneself from love of this world) is in 5 qualities.
(1) having full trust in Allah s.w.t
(2) independence from the creation of Allah s.w.t
(3) Sincerity in actions
(4) Putting up with oppression
(5) Contentment with what one has in his hands
An ‘abid (devotee) used to make the following supplications to Allah. O my God,
(1) tulul aml (lengthy/pipe dreams) deluded me.
(2) love of this world has destroyed me
(3) satan has led me astray
(4) nafs al- ammarah (the soul that is prone to evil) has prevented me from abiding by the truth (doing the right things)
(5) my bad companions have encouraged me to commit sin
O the helper of those who seek help, listen to my grievances and be kind to me. If you do not bestow Your mercy on me, then who is there but You to bestow mercy on me?
There will come a time upon my ummah (community) when they will love five things while forgetting about five other things:
(1) they will love this dunya but completely forget about the akhira
(2) they will love this life but completely forget death
(3) they will love their (temporal)homes but forget about their own grave
(4) they will love wealth but forget about the accounting on the Day of Judgment
(5) they will love creatures but forget the creator
– Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w)