You may download the lecture in various formats below:
In this lecture, Ustadh Mahmud goes through these sayings from Munabbihat, the counsels of five.
The scholars of Islam have said: Inner contemplation is of five types
(1) Meditation on the signs of Allah- this helps one to have firm belief in monotheism and have certitude (yaqin)
(2) Meditation on the favors of Allah- this generates love for Allah
(3) Meditation on the promises of Allah- this encourages worship to Allah
(4) Meditation on the warnings of Allah- this generates fear of Him
(5) Meditation on one’s shortcomings despite all the blessings of Allah- this generates a feeling of shame.
A wise man said, “There are five obstacles to attaining taqwa (God consciousness) and the person who overcomes these five obstacles, will attain taqwa.
(1) Choosing hardship instead of ease
(2) Choosing labor instead of comfort
(3) Choosing obedience over self- pride
(4) Choosing silence over useless talk
(5) Choosing death over life